Our Tenants' Rights Hotline provides counseling and information for members tenants' rights. The hotline is made possible due to the support of members and volunteers from all over the state. We offer free one-on-one phone counseling sessions to our members. Membership is donation based, with a suggested $10-100 per year, and no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
Before Calling the hotline, please go to our "Resources" page to look up more information on your issue. If these resources don't give you the information you need:
Call the Hotline at (888) 495-8020
Can you help support our hotline program?
If you would like to become a member but can't donate, use this form.
Berkeley Tenants Union
- (520) 982-6696
Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board
- 2125 Milvia St.
- Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 9am-4:45pm
- Wed: 12pm-6:30pm
- (510) 981-7368
- The East Palo Alto Fair Rent Coalition
- (415) 845-7447
Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto
- (650) 326-6440
Bay Area Legal Aid San Mateo
- (650) 472-2666
Coalition for Economic Survival
- (213) 252-4411 (for counseling)
- (213) 483-7497 (counseling)
- L.A. Tenants Union / Sindicato de Inquilinos de L.A. (Counseling)
Eviction Defense Network
- (213) 385-8112 (for legal representation)
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
- (213) 640-3812 (Legal representation)
Causa Justa: Just Cause (counseling)
- (510) 836- 2687 Tenants' Rights Hotline
Oakland Tenants Union
- (510) 704-5276 (organizing)
Eviction Defense Center
- (510) 452-4541
- East Bay Community Law Center
- (510) 548-4040
- Centro Legal de la Raza
- (510) 437-1554
Richmond Rent Board
- (510) 234-RENT (7368)
- Rent Program Office
- second floor of 440 Civic Center Plaza, Richmond, CA 94804
Housing Rights Committee of San Francisco
- (415) 703-8644 (counseling)
SF Tenant's Union
- (415) 282-6622 (note- do not do letter writing)
San Francisco Rent Board
- (415) 252-4602 (hotline and counseling)
Eviction Defense Collaborative
- (415) 947-0797 (legal representation)
Causa Justa : Just Cause
- Open for Counseling Fridays 1pm-4:30pm
- (415) 487-9203 (counseling and organizing)
Becoming a Member Means:
- you get free counseling on your tenants rights!
- access to organizing tools and other tips on how to get your neighbors organized
- Stay in the loop about what is happening for tenants in your city and around the state
- If you wish to receive counseling but do not want to be a member, there is a $20 one time fee to cover our hotline staff.
What our hotline does and doesn’t do (so you’re not disappointed):
- Do you provide legal advice?
No, our counselors are highly trained volunteers who come from a wide variety of backgrounds, but they are not lawyers. Most of them are tenants like yourself who have learned a lot about tenants’ rights through being their own advocates as well as through the training they receive from Tenants Together. If you need legal advice you can find some through our directory here.
- Can you represent me in my eviction case or help me fill out the paperwork?
No, our hotline does not provide legal advice OR representation. If you need legal advice you can find some through our directory here.
- Do you give advice to landlords?
No, we are a tenants’ rights non-profit and our very limited resources are dedicated to supporting tenants. We also cannot advise master tenants with questions pertaining to their subtenants.
- Can you tell me how to deal with my roommate or neighbor?
Our hotline can only counsel on issues where tenants are having problems with their landlord. We encourage you to seek a mediation service that might help address the conflict by visiting your local courthouse for resources.
- Can you help me find housing?
Most counties have a 2-1-1 service you can call to get information about rental assistance or affordable housing lists.
- Can you help me learn more about my tenants’ rights so I know what I need to do to effectively stand up to my landlord?
YES, most definitely YES!
- Can you help me find out what my rights are if my landlord is in foreclosure? The best way to request repairs? How to get my security deposit back?
Yes! All of the above and more!